After the Chiefs cut Jeremy Maclin on June 2, no one was more shocked to find out about the move than Maclin himself. With three years left on a five-year, $55 million deal that he signed in 2015, Maclin was pretty confident that he would be getting one of the Chiefs’ 53 roster spots for the 2017 season.
In Maclin’s case, the most cutthroat part of his release wasn’t the fact that the Chiefs dumped him, it was how they decided to do it: They left a message on his cell phone. “Through a voicemail [From G.M.] John Dorsey,” Maclin said, when asked on PFT Live asked how he found about his release.
That’s right, even though Andy Reid attended Maclin’s wedding in May, the team didn’t even have the courtesy to cut him over the phone or in person, they simply left him a voice mail. Clearly, someone forgot to tell Dorsey that millennials don’t listen to voicemails. It’s miracle that Maclin even heard the message.
Anyway, as you can imagine, Maclin was stunned by the turn of events.
“I was upset, I was shocked,” Maclin said. “Apparently, they had been trying to trade me for two or three months. Which who knows if that’s true or not? I would just think that … a guy who is going into his ninth year would know if he’s being shopped or not. It is what it is.”